Thursday 24 May 2018

Burda Magazine Facing Fashion of the 1960th... How did it look like?

Burda Moden 02' 1969

Burda Moden 02' 1969



This is my new source of constant joy. What do you feel looking at these fashion models, especially on the faces?  I am overjoyed. Burda magazines for me mean not only patterns - as patterns I can do myself. It is life mode, mood, world view, philosophy, - all about how ladies of the time saw their ideals and expressed themselves. 
Burda Moden 02' 1969

T

I love these happy faces of excited schoolgirls! Fashion of the late 1960th is wonderful - hilariously bright, everything is short and cute. 

Looking at these faces… I bet they really had a youthquake happened to them.






Thats why I don’t really like patterns sold separately from magazine. They give you lines and curves (which are often out of fashion already) but not the idea of the design. Magazine issue is like a travel in time, it will explain through photo shoots why this or that was important, trendy  or beautiful.




1960th were wonderful, it is my favourite epoch.
Young people just did what they wanted.
 
it was a youthquake".  - Diana Vreeland












Burda Moden 02' 1969











But my most favourite picture from that issue - is this amazing advertisement of  ‘Sphinx’ underwear. Young lady sitting on a tray of pearls and jewellery, being carried by four porters, like Cleopatra, in the most modern bra… It goes very well with everything else they had in fashion in the 1960th. This ad looks like a quintessence of the period to me. It looks... reasonably crazy and pretty childish, and again - like a school girl (wearing mum's bra).




























Couple of years ago I put together a look having in mind retro based on 1960th. I came to the Embroiderer’s Guild on stitching Saturday, and ladies there (who knew 1960th much better than I did) told me that I looked like a 16-year-old single mum… I think it means that retro was caught precisely. 


By he way, texts are in English in 1969, but picture captions are still in German. Burda Moden magazine appeared in 1950. It became widely spread outside Germany in the 1960th. It was the first European magazine to be published in the Soviet Union (in 1987) and the first as well - for the People's Republic Of China (in 1994). Dates are from Wikipedia.

So you see that desire to create fashion and beauty goes beyond political and any other borders. Fashion is the first to break these borders. This is how important it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment